Well 40 weeks arrived ! Tues march 12 th . I got up showered and curled my hair for the first time in a few months . I was thinking that if labor was in the near future then my hair would at least look good even thou I was feeling huge and uncomfortable .
The two weeks leading up , had been tough . Mainly spent in bed . If it wasn't my back bothering me it was the brutal cold I fought thru or the pulled muscles I had in my sides , ribs and belly from the persistent cough . And just when I was getting over the cold and the muscles were feeling better I somehow really did damage to the muscles on the right had side of my ribs . So much so that even the slightest movement sent the muscles into a severe spasm and kept me in bed for 3 days . Booo
But as the big Due date approached I was progressively getting better .
So after my hair was curled and makeup on Nelson and I went to see Dr Gillespie .
He did his regular check and then he says " do u want me to sweep your membranes " ????????
I was surprised at first , it took me a few seconds to ask what that even ment ....
He has never in the past 3 pregnancies ever done a internal exam on me unless it was in labor and delivery, so I was shocked .
At that moment I gave myself a , in my head high five for the immaculate shave I decided to do just a few hrs earlier !
So after he explained what he was going to do, I stripped down and put that weird paper sheet on , put Nelson on the docs stool which was not directly in line with the activity going on down under like it would of been had he stayed in his initial seat and let the doc do his thing . A little uncomfortable but not to bad considering he said some people say its painful . Nah no problem hahaha I am a old pro now apparently .
So with that being done I guess it seperated something and then it releases hormones that can potentially help promote labor .
He told me that some people claim it works and for others it doesn't do anything ( like Jodie my sister in law who had it done 2 maybe even 3 times and then still had to be induced )
So I left the office hopeful but not expecting to much .
So no action all tues , and wenesday . Although I was super tired wenesday and wondered if maybe the baby wasn't planning a exit sooner than later . So I napped twice while at my moms and then went home and got the boys in bed and hit the couch to catch up on my big brother watching .
WARNING !!!!!!!!
This blog post may contain adult ( sort of gross) content readers discretion advised !
9 pm ish I went for a in between shows pee brake to be alittle surprised to find I was defiantly starting to pass the mucus plug !
I had felt that the Braxton hicks That were happening more often , had seemed to be packing alittle more of a punch than normal but hadn't really thought much of it until I seen this little surprise taking place .
So as I sat there , I decided that if this was going to he going down that I need to be prepared and that I really wanted to be at the hospital sooner than later ! I didn't want to be home waiting for my contractions to be 5 min apart when fr past deliveries its clear that our babies don't take long to arrive .
I wanted to know the boys were taken care of and that I wasn't going to end up delivering this baby at home .
So I thought about it and decide that my body defiantly was interested in having this baby in the near future , so I started sending out texts to get the troops in place .
First I texted a friend and told her "ok I think this is going down tonight " then I shot my mom a text and had her on stand by to rush over if I texted , and then I texted pat to see when he would he home from Elevate !
Decided a shower and a fresh shave was in order and a bit of a focus session and a chat with God . If this was going down I knew we had to tap into some God kind of calm and peace !
( I have huge babies that come quickly and I opt for a few drugs as possible and I as quoted by all the labor and delivery nurses " am one of the calmest women they have ever seen during labor "
For those that know me , know that , that is not one of my good qualities "being calm and peaceful" hahaha so it's very clear and evident that the peace and calm I pray for throughout my pregnancies is defiantly a much appreciated gift fr God !
So after a nice hot shower I decided that indeed things were going to be happening within the near future and had the troops called in . My mom came over so we could head to the hospital . Pats parents drove in to stay over night with the boys .
So the adventure began ....
We strolled into labor and delivery at around 10:30-10:45 pm . I knew my contractions were not even close to bring 5 min apart ( which they say don't bother coming in until they are ) but I wanted to be there for peace of mind .
So the nurse checked me and I was 3-4 cm dilated which was some advancement fr the 1-2 cm I was the day before .
So she suggested I go walking for a hr then come back to get checked again at 12am
So off pat and I and mom go strolling around . A hr passed and the only thing I felt besides the odd contraction was being thirsty .
So we made our way back up stairs to go see the nurse . I was really hoping that they wouldn't tell me to go home ....
I was exhausted and was not going to go home even if they said to . It wasn't my first rodeo and I knew that being there was best .
So sure enough after a hr of walking there still wasn't much of a change . The on call doc came in and thankfully she said that she figured I should stay since there had been some advancement since the day before at that she figured I was in early stages of labor .
So they put us in a unused delivery room that had a extra bed and a lazy boy so we could all try to get some rest .
My contractions were prob every 25 min apart . And because I was so tired I opted for a shot of morphine to take the edge of so I could try to get a bit of rest .
This was prob around 1am .
So while pat got 4-5 hrs of sleep in the bed I laid in bed with mom beside me in the lazy boy .
Although not having a great sleep I did seem to rest a bit between contractions which I would tell mom when they happened and she would time them . After a few hrs of that I got up and mom and I walked the halls for awhile . Chatting , laughing and trying to get the baby to make a move ......
It was weird because my contractions really only felt like Braxton hicks , they were tight , uncomfortable but not exactly painful or long .
So finally around 7 a new nurse came on duty and I was tired but not able to sleep and was getting annoyed that it didnt seem like much was happening .
Dr Gillespie was due to show up around 8 and so I was pretty excited about that . I like him and his stitching abilities :) the doc I had for Weston didnt impress me with his stitching job post baby and so I had been praying I would have the right doc for my situation and I was pumped it was going to be my doc .
To be continued .......
( it's late , I am tired )
Wednesday, March 27, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





I have been looking and waiting for this.....
ReplyDelete;)
love it! you are the most amazing mother, i am in awe of you. seriously, i don't know anyone who takes on motherhood, pregnancy, labour and does it looking stunning.
ReplyDeletei joked about you yesterday when asked how you were doing i said "you know shannon, she has her 4th baby comes home and remodels her kitchen the next day" haha
kisses to baby victoria!